This restaurant and brewhouse on the West Coast have gone all out to ensure you have a wonderful experience with plenty of craft beer, wine, gin and cocktails, along with food that is befitting of a five star restaurant.
Where is it?
Marina Centre, Port Owen (Velddrif), West Coast
Why go there?
At Charlie’s Brewhouse it’s not just about a pint and a plate of chips – they’ve taken pub grub to a whole new level!
How much am I going to pay?
On tap craft beers and ciders from R30 (340ml) / R42 (500ml), wine R20 a glass / from R95 a bottle, ciders R30, cocktails from R30, shooters from R15 and build-your-own beer tasting at R10 per taster (100ml). Bar snacks (tapas) from R50 with main meals averaging at around R100.
When is it open?
Daily from 12h00 to 22h00.
Telephone 022 783 0448, www.charliesbrew.co.za
Charlie’s Brewhouse opened its doors to the public in September 2018, so they are the new kid on the block in Velddrif. I paid them a visit a few weeks after they opened and was blown away by what’s on offer. These guys have gone all out to ensure you have a wonderful experience with plenty of craft beer, wine, gin and cocktails. Plus, not only is their food absolutely delicious, the presentation of the dishes will make you wonder if you are actually at a brewhouse or if you’ve been transported into a five star restaurant!
While they don’t have their own craft beer on offer yet, they will be launching their very own beer micro-brewery and gin distillery toward the end of the year. In the meantime you can either enjoy a tasting (R10 per 100ml tasting) or a pint of their on tap selection, which includes Darling Brew, Devil’s Peak, Stellenbrau, D’Cider and Cederberg Brewery. They also have a selection of white and red wines aloing with bubbly, starting at R20 a glass. If you fancy a cocktail they have Pina Coladas, daiquiris and martinis, along with a fairly extensive shot menu! Non-alcoholic beverages include coffee, hot chocolate and tea and there’s also a selection of milkshakes. It may be a brewhouse, but their cocktails are worth having if you don’t feel like a beer.
Food is not an afterthought at Charlie’s Brewhouse, so if you enjoy a good meal that reasonably priced and beautifully presented, then you definitely need to arrive hungry! They have a large selection of bar snacks (which are more like tapas so order a selection between you), along with main courses including burgers, pastas, steaks, Eisbein, seafood dishes and good old bangers and mash. There’s also a range of desserts and a kids menu. We selected a range of items from the bar snacks section and the Bitterballen, Beer Prawns, Seafood Basket and Pan-fried Fish Cakes come highly recommended!
Below is a small selection of what to expect on the menu, but bear in mind that ingredients are sourced locally so the menu may change slightly.
- Bitterballen with wholegrain mustard mayonnaise and pickled red onions – R50
- Pan-fried fishcakes with avocado puree and crunchy slaw – R55
- Beef sliders with Emmenthal cheese and gherkins – R70
- Seafood basket with hake, calamari and mussels – R70
- Beer prawns with chilli and coriander, served with beer bread – R110
- Homemade pork sausages served with creamy mashed potato, peas and an onion gravy – R90
- Calamari and lentil salad with cabbage, toasted sunflower seeds and an Asian dressing – R90
- Mushroom pasta with garlic, lemon and a chilli, sage and cream sauce – R95
- Vegetarian burger with a chickpea patty, mushroom puree, salsa and chips – R95
- Charlie’s beef burger with Emmenthal cheese, gherkins, mustard mayonnaise and chips – R110
- West Coast mussels with coconut chilli ale or white wine garlic sauce – R105
- Honey mustard glazed eisbein with creamy mash, braised red cabbage and gravy – R145
- Malva pudding with a crème fraiche sorbet and raspberry jelly – R65
- Chocolate and stout pudding with ice cream and meringues – R65
Charlie’s Brewhouse is all about having a good time, so you’ll occasionally find live music acts to add to the festivities – follow them on Facebook to see what’s happening. They’d also make a great spot to host your next celebration, seating up to 160 people in total. Book them quick for your year-end function!
Of all the breweries, pubs and bars I have been to (and there are many!) I rate Charlie’s Brewhouse as one of my best finds to date and cannot recommend them enough when you next visit Velddrif. Order a plate of Bitterballen and a Pina Colada and think of me!
Smokers will be happy to know that there’s a large and bright glass-pane patio where they are welcome to puff away. It’s the best seat in the house with no need to stand outside in the West Coast wind!
Published October 2018 | Hosted by Charlie’s Brewery